Public School or Private School?
Unless you take a séjour during the summer months, your kids will need to continue their education. Here are some things to think about.
Local public schools
- The child benefits from true cultural immersion and assimilation into local community
- The best way to learn a foreign language is full immersion
- Free! or close to it.
- As the outsider, it may be harder to make friends
- Do some research – confirm that attending the local school is an option. In some cases there may be some bureaucratic hurdles to jump.
- You will find a variety of options: international, bilingual, religious, etc.
- Might be more comfortable for kids who do not speak the local language
- Internationals schools would likely have a large expat community
- The child may not become as proficient in the local language
- The child may be “sheltered” from the local culture
- Costs vary, but can be quite expensive
Related blog posts: