Define the dream
- Basic location and type of rental – (i.e. South of France, house in a village)
- Personal and family goals – (i.e. introduce family to different way of life, learn French, work on family genealogy project)
Reserve the House
- Define your search criteria (your deal-breakers and your wish list)
- Search and email for additional information
- Confirm the house
School for children
- Decide what you want – public or private?
- Research and email for additional information
- Confirm your school
Pursuing your passions / Achieving your goals
- Resources needed to accomplish your goals:
- Sign up for courses?
- Find a community of support?
- Car – confirm rental or lease
- Learn how to drive a stick (if applicable)
- Confirm auto insurance
- Get International Drivers Permit
- See you doctors, and ask these questions.
- Call your insurance company
- Look into travel insurance (could include medical, evacuation and/or trip insurance)
- Learn the language
- Read novels/travel stories about your location
- Listen to music from your location
- Start language lessons
- Make sure your passports are up to date
- Call credit cards to see if your membership has any rewards
Keep up with your home life
- Make sure all your bills can be paid online
- Stop mail, or forward to a friend
- Have a friend stop by your house now and then to check on things, turn on different lights, water plants, etc.
A few weeks before you go
- Pull out a big plastic tub and start putting things in there as you think of them
- Charge all batteries
- Go through the junk drawer and find those Euros left over from the trip to Europe three years ago
- Copy all important documents (drivers license, credit cards, passports and travel details) and leave them with someone at home